Thursday, October 05, 2006

When souls drift - Part 5

Slightly bent with a high level of nervousness he turned to Raj and said “Would you like…aaaa...would you like to have some water?”

All of a sudden Raj’s cheeks and chin started shaking. His eyes turned red and all of a sudden he broke down again. By this time Sanjeev was intensely shocked by this new scene before him. He could not understand the way to handle this scenario. Sanjeev was almost trying to calm his heartbeats when all of a sudden Raj bent down and touched his feet.

“What…Mr. Rajendra…please, what are you doing…please get up…sit here” trying his level best Sanjeev was pacifying the young man. He made Raj sit on the couch and ran inside to fetch a glass of water. The earthen pot was almost empty but Sanjeev could get at least a glass for the man in grief. While Raj gulped down every drop, Sanjeev stood by his side and patted him on his back.

“Thanks…Sanjeev, can I get a cup of coffee…please!”
The duo then sat in front of each other; Raj sat on the couch while Sanjeev sat on a creeky black steel chair. Sanjeev had now worn a shirt and a trouser. The old pajama and the torn yellow baniyan were shed-off and lay strewn on the bedroom floor inside.

After a full 30 minutes of speechless atmosphere, Raj looked at the totally puzzled Sanjeev. The poor fellow wanted to ask Raj the reason of his arrival but in no way had he the guts to say so. The suspense was killing him. All sorts of negative questions ran through his mind. But in know way could he figure out absolutely anything.

Raj broke the silence.

“Sanjeev…the day before Mr. Vijayraj Sardesai i.e. my father passed away.”

“Yes I know that. I mean…the whole world was shocked. He was really a great man. You must be really grieved by his absence.” Raj tried to be as consoling as possible.

Raj continued “I know…he was a great man! Tell me something Sanjeev. Did you ever meet him…ever…even once? In the last 30 years of your life, has he ever been anywhere near you or your family?”

Sanjeev nodded in negation and continued “Please sir…please tell me what’s the matter? If unknowingly I have committed a mistake then please tell me. You are almost killing me. I am a small person Mr. Rajendra. I mean why would he want to meet me? I work as an accountant in the bank. Even if he ever visited our bank, he would have surely met the Manager or someone above him. Why would such great man ever meet me?”

Raj gave a sharp look at the nervous fellow and continued “Why! Strange that you are asking this question Sanjeev! Strange that Vikramraj Sardesai’s elder son is asking this.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home